The United Nations Women’s Peace and Humanitarian Fund Window (WPHF) for Women Human Rights Defenders (WHRDs) provides – in partnership with non-governmental organizations – rapid, flexible funding and direct logistical support to WHRDs from or working in crisis and conflict-affected areas.
WHRDs supported through this window include women, those who identify as women – this includes lesbian, gay, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) human rights defenders – who, individually or in association with others, formally or informally, act to promote or protect human rights, including women’s rights, in a peaceful manner at the local, national, regional and international level.
*As per the definition of human rights defenders of the United Nations Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner and Based on the UN Special Rapporteur Reports about human rights defenders A/HRC/16/44 (2010) para 30 and A/HRC/40/60 (2019), para 12 and UN General Assembly resolution 68/181 (2013). Please note that this fund does not consider applications from men who work on women’s rights issues.
The WPHF Funding Window for Women Human Rights Defenders provides support to WHRDs through two streams:
1. Safety Net, in partnership with NGO partners (through emergency funding of up to USD 10,000): to cover urgent costs, such as short-term livelihood and protection expenses, including – but not limited to – equipment (computers, security cameras), internet, self-care, legal assistance, and relocation from or return home.
CLICK here TO CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND SUBMIT A SECURE APPLICATION:Safety Net Stream
2. Advocacy Support (through direct logistical assistance): to arrange and cover for logistical expenses (transportation, visa fees, accommodation, daily subsistence allowance, accessibility for WHRDs with disabilities) to participate – either individually or as a delegation – in a meeting, event or decision-making process at the national, regional or international level which contributes to advancing human rights and peace.
CLICK here TO CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND SUBMIT A SECURE APPLICATION:Advocacy Support Stream
For general information on the WPHF Funding Window for WHRDs, please contact WPHF-WHRD@unwomen.org
Explore these resources to learn more about the WPHF Funding Window for WHRDs and its objectives.
To learn more about WHRDs and their work around the world:
- Office for the High Commissioner on Human Rights: Human Rights and Civic Space in the UN System: Supporting Women Human Rights Defenders (2021)
- Additional information on WHRDs from the UN Office for the High Commissioner on Human Rights
- Report of the UN Secretary-General on Women, Peace and Security (2022), S/2022/740
- Reports of the UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders, in particular A/HRC/40/60 (2019): Situation of women human rights defenders – Report of the Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders
- Frontline Defenders: Global Analysis 2022
- Kvinna Till Kvinna: Solidarity is Our Only Weapon: The Situation of Women Human Rights Defenders (2021)